Wednesday 2 October 2013

"How's the drive?"

    I swear this is the number one question I get from people.  After being someone who literally lived a parking lot away from her university classes her entire academic career you can imagine the shock it must of been for me to start commuting.  Sometimes, it sucks and sometimes it's alright.  It's not my ideal situation, but it's something I have to do in order to make things work for me.  Here's the best break down of what it's like commuting for me:

  • The drive from my town to the city is almost never busy.  In fact, I kind of enjoy it this time of year with all the leaves changing colour.  I have time where I can sip my coffee now and then as I drive and not worry about getting into an accident or it affecting my speed. 
  • Tuesdays are easily the worst day.  I don't know what it is, but every Tuesday trying to get myself to school is a hassle.  My 45 minute - an hour commute turns into an hour and a half.  The highway where I need to be on for two exits takes me almost 20 minutes.  It's a nightmare. 
  • I leave late enough at night where I never hit rush hour.  It's actually refreshing that I don't sit in line ups at traffic lights. 
  • My parents are constantly annoyed that I have the car, and to be honest I don't blame them.  I'm almost never home for someone who lives there.
  • The cost I pay in gas a week is insane.  But it's still cheaper than living on residence.
I like having a car at school though because it honestly makes a different to my day and I no longer feel trapped on campus.  I'm taking opportunities I never took before because I have access to a car.  I'm able to go and get food if I want it at lunch time or drive friends to pick up some dinner. Those little breaks of sanity are what's needed. 

So overall the drive, is not too bad. I may be singing a different story though once we have snow on the ground.

1 comment:

  1. Well the good news is, once there's snow on the ground it will be worse in Odot than it will be in the city. Just remember that once the first snowflake falls, everyone forgets how to drive like a normal, sane person. It happens every year, and happens everytime we have something that's not sun (rain, fog, etc.)
    As for gas, there's not too much you can do unfortunately. The price of gas is horrendous right now. I feel for you there. I was able to get 4-5 days of gas on a tank when I was driving to Humber, and that's ONLY if I didn't go anywhere else. As for Tuesdays, I would avoid the 427 if you can (assuming that's where you only need to be on for two exits, if I remember the commute properly). Good luck girly! The commute is no fun, but it will be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete